gap between window frame and jamb

Old 07-31-05, 11:36 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question gap between window frame and jamb

I'm installing a vinyl replacement window for the first time. The rough opening is level and plumb: 28 1/2" (from top to bottom jamb) x 20 7/8" (from left side to right side jamb). I gave this measurement to HD for ordering the new window.

Now the new window arrived has the frame size 27 3/4" x 20 3/8". The gap between window frame and jamb becomes 3/8" for each side and 1/4" for top and bottom. I know I'll need to use shim flush with the jamb and fill the gap with fiberglass insulation or weatherproofing foam. But is 1/4"~3/8" gap on each side too large? Will such large gap on the exterior cause problem on caulking.

I'll need to order another four windows for the same size. Should I make any adjustment to the size given to HD?

Appreciate any suggestions.

Old 07-31-05, 11:39 AM
D
forgot to mention: it's a double slider window

Old 07-31-05, 12:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 792 Votes on 729 Posts
They should have only deducted 1/4" from the width and height when ordering your window. 1/8" on each side is usually sufficient, provided the old opening is fairly square, then the edges of the window can easily be sealed with caulk.

As far as the outside is concerned, your old window frame ought to have a 1/2" blind stop that the window will push up against. if you have 3/8" on each side, the window will only be hitting by 1/8" on these stops. But, provided you have a blind stop on the exterior, it should not be a problem.

When giving window measurements, the width always comes first, followed by the height. So if you were going to order windows for the same size opening, I'd get them 20 5/8 x 28 1/4. (provided you are measuring the height from where the window sits, not from the top of your sill. Most window heights end in 3/4, so it makes me wonder if you're measuring the height too far to the interior side.

You could also see if HD can order your replacement windows to come with foam tape installed around the perimeter. This is an option that is nice because it keeps the window tight in the opening when you go to install it.

Old 07-31-05, 09:39 PM
D
"I'd get them 20 5/8 x 28 1/4. (provided you are measuring the height from where the window sits, not from the top of your sill. Most window heights end in 3/4, so it makes me wonder if you're measuring the height too far to the interior side."

20 5/8" x 28 1/4" is for the window frame size, right?

The old window is a two-piece wood awning window: one piece on the inside (single pane) and another piece on the outside (also single pane). The sill is a little sloped down towards the exterior. I measured the height from the head to the top of the sill (the place where sill hits inside blind stop). This is where I want to put the edge of the new window on.

Does it make sense?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: