Bi-Fold question

Old 07-31-05, 11:48 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bi-Fold question

I'm planning on hanging 2 sets of 3'0 bifold doors (2 panels per set) to fill a 6'0 opening. Instead of having the each set open from the center to either side of the opening, can I hinge them all together (all 4 panels) to open to one side (all 4 fold to the right side?

Old 07-31-05, 11:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,744 Upvotes on 1,568 Posts
No. That won't work because of the way bifolds work- one side of the doors has to sit on a pivot point, while the other door is simply hinged to it, and has a guide in the top track to keep it from coming out.

So if you tried to hinge all 4 doors together, the 3rd and 4th doors would have a tendency to sag, because it would be too much weight hanging out there, since nothing is supporting them from underneath. Your doors also would not come with the hardware to even attempt such an installation.

Old 08-01-05, 05:44 PM
C
thanks for the reply. That's not exactly the reply I was hoping for. This is a small room and space is of a premium. I guess I'll go back to the drawing board, and try to come up with a creative idea of closing this off without taking up valuable space.

Old 08-01-05, 07:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,744 Upvotes on 1,568 Posts
Bypass doors would work, but you'd only be able to slide one half open at a time. But at least they wouldn't hinge out into the room.

Old 08-01-05, 09:15 PM
Look into operable partitions.
Cheap ones at home centers.
Better ones from dealers.
For wood look to Oregon/else vinyl & plastic.
"Stack" varies. Stack is the space required to stack the folds in an open postition. Stack reduces the opening.

Old 08-03-05, 06:25 PM
C
Thanks for the replies!
There is going to be a wall bed behind the doors, so the bypass doors sre out, but I'll look into the partitions. I only have 2 foot of wall space on either side, so maybe that will work.

Old 08-03-05, 11:03 PM
tae
there are multifold doors and accordian doors. either of these should work.

Multi-fold doors are deisgned to be used in applications where folding doors are needed to cover wider than normal areas. Depending upon the hardware used, door sections from 12" - 42" wide can be used. Multi-fold doors can be used in a number of configurations, as long as the doors are in even numbers on either side of an opening. For example, you can have two doors on one side, six on another side, four each side, or many other possible configurations.

Old 08-04-05, 05:40 PM
C
Thanks Tae!
The multifold sounds perfect for this.
Can you jump start me on where I could find this hardware?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: