Rescreening Andersen screens

Old 08-09-05, 12:24 PM
wonderwoman728
Visiting Guest
Rescreening Andersen screens

I would like to rescreen some of my Andersen window screens. The former occupants weren't too nice to them. All the how to's I find mention pulling out a vinyl spline, but my screens don't have that. Instead, they utilize a metal rectangular bar to keep the screen in place. Are these screens rescreenable by me? If not by me, could a pro do it or do I need to purchase new ones?

Old 08-09-05, 03:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,744 Upvotes on 1,568 Posts
yes, but you have to be careful pulling out that rectangular spline, or you'll bend it. Your best bet would be to take it to a glass shop or hardware store that does rescreening. That way if they ruin something they can replace it.

If you wanted to try, I'd recommend cutting all the screen out with a knife blade before attempting to get the spline out. Use a very thin putty knife and gently work the spline out from one end, being extremely careful not to kink it.

Old 08-09-05, 05:16 PM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
If you think you are able to re-screen them yourself, replace the metal strips with .250 vinyl spline. You can get this at a local glass shop or hardware store that does screening. Personally, and as XSleeper says, let them do the re-screening.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: