Access Panel for Plumbing

Old 08-21-05, 04:20 PM
kam53
Visiting Guest
Question Access Panel for Plumbing

There is a panel in my hallway that provides access to the plumbing for the tub. The former owner of the house had closed the opening with plywood and painted over it. We've recently had some plumbing problems and have removed the panel in order to get access to the pipes. Now, I have an unfinished hole in the wall and I was wondering what to do to close it up. The simplest solution would be to do what the former owner did. However, I'd like to have easier access (in case of more plumbing problems). I was thinking of trying to install a small door. I've taken a look at the instructions for hanging a door (http://www.doityourself.com/doors/h2frameadoor.htm). Can I simply follow those steps? and where/how can I get a door to match the odd sized wall opening?

Thanks for any advice! This is my first home project.

Kathy

Old 08-21-05, 06:13 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
kam53, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
They make metal access panels for this problem You may have to change the opening a bit (sizewise) but it will look nice and is simple to install. Check with a plumbing supply house. Good luck.

Old 08-21-05, 06:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
If it was me, I'd make a face frame that is big enough to frame the hole, then install a cabinet door onto it. How big is the opening?

Old 08-22-05, 05:31 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Home Depot sells plastic access panels which can be painted to match the ceiling colour. They pop out very easily and provide you easy access to plumbing or whatever.

Old 08-22-05, 05:53 PM
kam53
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the helpful replies. The opening is 10" wide by 25" high. I can make it wider by cutting the drywall back to the stud on one side. Also, the drywall has crumbled a bit on top. I'm guessing that I should cut that off as well. I think I'll check out Home Depot to see what they have in the way of plastic access panels. Are they hinged? or do they just pop into a frame?

Kathy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: