glass on window

Old 09-08-05, 11:38 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
glass on window

I have a basement window (plastic frame, double glass - replacement window) which swings in, with the top coming in. It is in the bathroom and I bought some fancy glass that I want to attach to the inside of the window for privacy. Here is what I plan to do: buy mirror holders and put 8 - 12 of them on all 4 sides of the glass and put little plastic spacers between the fancy glass and the actual window so air can flow - this is a bathroom and I expect some condensation sometimes.

Is there a better way to do this, or will this work OK? The window is pretty tiny, about 14" high and 25" wide. Thank you for any suggestions.

Old 09-08-05, 11:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
it sounds like you have a good plan, but since the double pane glass extends back into the frame of the sash, be sure that any screws you put into the sash will miss the edge of the glass! Also, vinyl doesn't hold screws the best, so don't overtighten the screws- the threads will strip easily. Glass shops also sell mirror clips that are spring loaded on top, which makes removing the mirror easier. (in your case, the decorative glass) You would just pull up on the glass and you'll be able to tip the bottom edge out of the bottom clips. It would make cleaning behind the glass a little easier. Another option would be turn-buttons, which would just turn to the side to remove the glass.

Old 09-09-05, 04:31 AM
C
turn buttons?

Thank you for your reply. I never thought about cleaning the windows(oops). I don't think I want to use spring loaded top mounts since the mirror swings in and the top of the window then gets weight when it is opened. But the other idea, turn buttons I'm not familiar with. Is this something I can ask for at a hardware store? Could you describe them a little bit more please?
My local glass shop (which has Sat. hours so I don't have to take off work) sells mirror clips - but nothing special for 6 for 7.99 (talk about markup) and the hardware store around the corner sells 4 for 1.49, so the one glass shop I've been to doesn't offer much in the way of hanging. This is a real hardware store, but I haven't tried Home Depot as it would be hard to find such an item.

Old 09-09-05, 10:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Your glass shop might have turn buttons, then again, they might not. The ones we have are from the window company we are dealers for... so they might be hard for you to locate. But there's a lot of different window companies that use them, so they shouldn't be too hard to find if you find the right place. All they are is a tiny tab with a hole through it for a screw.

As far as your concern about the mirror clips with the spring... I really don't think you'd have a problem with them, since the window would have to tip completely upside down, and even if that was the case, the glass would only push the spings down if it was pretty heavy, and your piece of glass sounds small.

Old 09-12-05, 04:30 AM
G
Actually, have you looked into film you can put on the glass? That is how I did part of my windows. I brought mine back from Europe, however I saw it also advertised at Ikea. It goes under the name of window decoration, you can cut it to any size you like, you just wet the glass and press it on. It can also be removed again. No screws or glue necessary. Once you put it on, it looks as if the glass has been sandblasted. You can buy this also at hardware stores, however they tend to have decoration on it.

Old 09-12-05, 12:05 PM
C
film

Actually that (IKEA film) is what I originally put up and didn't like it. It let in the light without being able to see anything, which I didn't like. The glass I have selected is from a stained glass store. It is clear, but the glass is distorted in horizontal waves, so you can see outside (or inside) but everything is distorted. I didn't like the idea of not seeing the colors outside in the garden, now I will be able to see the colors, even if they are distorted in a "Starry Night" sort of way.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: