Difficult to open windows

Old 09-22-05, 04:31 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Difficult to open windows

Several years ago I had an addtion put on my house and I replaced all my windows with Peachtree double hung windows. The conrtactor that framed my house put the windows in. All the windows are difficlut to open. They do not slide smoothly. My wife can't even open some of them and I have a hard time.

What could cause this problem and how do I fix it. Thank you.

Old 09-22-05, 12:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,743 Upvotes on 1,567 Posts
If the windows have always been tight, it could be that the windows were "pinched" in the middle when they were installed. The only way to tell for sure is to measure the width on the bottom and top (should be the same) and compare it with the measurement in the middle. You may get a more accurate feel for whether or not they are pinched if you can actually remove the sashes completely from the frame before measuring.

If the window has been nailed to the house and trimmed while being pinched in the middle, the only thing you can do to correct that is remove the window completely and reinstall it.

I'm assuming your Peachtree windows are wood, and slide in a vinyl jamb track? You didn't mention if they are stained or painted. I just wonder if, when they were stained or painted, some of the finish oozed around the edges of the sash... that would definately make them hard to operate. Wood windows that must slide on a side track should never be finished on the sides because it makes them almost impossible to slide. If the sides of the sashes have been finished with either paint or stain and varnish, I'd say that's your problem right there.

Old 09-22-05, 06:30 PM
R
Bens,
In addition, you should check for dirt buildup on the jambs and the sash. After several years, that would be my guess for hard to open windows. As mentioned, there should be no paint on the jambs or sash that slides on the jambs. If its dirt buildup, clean both sides with mineral spirits, wipe dry and then apply parrafin wax (candle wax) on the jambs. If its neither of the above, then check your warranty, you may be covered for inproper installation.

Old 09-22-05, 11:05 PM
B
Iím not sure what you mean by "pinched". Iím guessing the windows were pushed in in the middle? This is all irrelevant because if I have to remove the windows to correct the problem FORGET IT. Weíre talking about 24 windows half of which are on the second floor.

Can I spray lubricant or use wax to help them slide easier. It may not be a permanent fix but anything that helps a little is worth a try. I just donít want to make things worse.

And for the obvious question. Why wait 7 years!!! I did so much work on my house (I did not have a contractor, I subbed the work out and did a lot myself) that It just didnít seem too important at the time. I was hoping if I ignored it it would go away.

I still have 2 temporary railings and need to install permanent ones but $ is short. When the railings are in the house will officially be complete. Maybe when I retire.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: