Identifying existing window

Old 10-25-05, 11:13 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Identifying existing window

We recently bought a home and the inspector said 8 of the windows had lost the argon fill. These are aluminum windows, top fixed, bottom slides. Each window appears to be 1 large double paned window with plastic dividers inside for panes. I am trying to identify what brand, Uv if any, etc. to begin searching for replacement. I can't find any identifying marks. Any ideas on where to find them or how to identify?
Old 10-25-05, 12:04 PM
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 5,651
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Identifying existing window

If you can do it, take out the movable portion and take it to a glass supplier. You wil have to buy the panels from a supplier that makes them or from a supplier that purchaes them. They can be made to order. You could them do one or as many as you want.

Considering that you have 8 windows and possibly 16 panes, you probably could get a decent price on the installation that may change your mind about it being a DIY job.

Old 10-25-05, 03:35 PM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 26,416
Received 1,748 Upvotes on 1,572 Posts
First, I'd like to know if the 8 panes in question have moisture between the glass, or streaks between the glass that won't come clean. The reason I ask is that if the seal has failed, it will be obvious- the moisture and streaks are the clues.

When your inspector says "they've lost their argon"... that makes me a little suspicious. You see, argon is an odorless, colorless gas... so there would be no way for him to come to such a conclusion unless the glass was fogged or there was evidence of it being fogged in the past. Most people wouldn't know an argon window if they saw one. Those of us who work in the window industry know to look for the clues, however... in production, 2 small holes are made in the spacer, then the argon probes are inserted into these holes. Once the probes indicate the IGU is full, the probes are removed, and the holes are sealed.

Regarding the type of window you have, that's hard to say. If there is no sticker in the head of the frame, you might try looking on the aluminum spacer bar, if so equipped, (between the 2 panes of glass) for small markings that might indicate the maker, and the date the IGU was sealed.

If all else fails, post some digital pics online, and maybe someone will be able to identify them. Knowing the type is usually a mute point, however. You'll probably be getting the glass from a glass house anyway, and they don't care whose windows they are. As the 2nd owner, it's more than likely you have no warranty to go back on.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: