Closet Doors

Old 11-22-05, 05:36 PM
kdnovak
Visiting Guest
Question Closet Doors

I have removed the sliding mirrored doors from my closet and would like to replace them with two hinged doors instead. However, the doorframe already has a molding around it that I do not want to remove/replace. Would it be better to purchase 2 pre-hung doors and remove them from their frames to install or to purchase 2 doors and try to install them. I know that installing doors isn't the easiest task, but I am relatively handy and I'm hoping to do this myself.

Does anyone have any opinions?

Thank you.

Old 11-28-05, 01:16 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I really don't think you could use a pre-hung door because, even if you removed the molding from it, your existing molding wouldn't cover the edges of the pre-hung door frame. In other words, it would look bad. So I'd opt for buying doors and hanging them yourself. It's really not that hard to do if you use a template like this to help you:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...28013&v=glance

You can buy a similar template for the knob, too.

Old 12-25-05, 05:53 AM
JennG_1
Visiting Guest
You should try: www.slidingdoorco.com .
I hope this web site can help you.

Jennifer.

Old 12-25-05, 07:07 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
closet doors

If you're not absolutely committed to two swinging doors you might consider bifold doors. Bifolds can frequently replace sliders with only a change of tracks.

Old 12-26-05, 03:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
closet door

Consider one thing. The mirror sliders you removed were most probably 36" wide, which will make your outswing deeper than your bedroom entry door. This will take up alot of floor space. Like Jan2, I would recommend a nice solid pine bifold pair. I am in the opposite position, as I have to remove bifolds from a customer's house and replace them with mirrored doors - Go figure!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: