Kerf Style Weatherstrip ??

Old 11-28-05, 11:04 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 19
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kerf Style Weatherstrip ??

I have a standard steel exterior door (36"w X 80"h) with no manufacturer markings on it. I want to replace the old compression style weatherstrip with a new magnetic style. The door jamb has a 1/4" wide kerf cut for the weatherstrip "tang" to seat into. All of the replacement weatherstrips that I find (HD, Lowes, Menards) have a 1/8" thick barbed "tang", so they will not securely seat into the jamb. Can you give me any suggestions on finding a magnetic replacement that will fit this wide kerf, or modifying the kerf to accept the thinner "tang"? Thanks!!!!
Joe E
Old 11-28-05, 02:40 PM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 27,191
Received 1,945 Upvotes on 1,746 Posts
Didn't reply to your original post because I've never heard of a weatherstrip that fits into a 1/4" kerf. Maybe someone will. Your best bet is trying to track down the manufacturer somehow.
Old 11-29-05, 11:21 AM
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 929
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is the door frame metal or is it wood? If wood, maybe you could just replace the stop molding. You could buy some molding and cut the kerf you need with a table saw or router.
Old 05-31-08, 07:33 PM
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kerf weatherstrip

I have about the same issue. Our Quaker Meeting House has two pairs of wodd entrance doors that meet in the middle (no center post). They have a rubber strip set in a carrier that fits into the kerf. The kerf is 1/4" wide and has adjustment screws in the bottom for adjustment. Unfortunately the doors have shrunk beyond the adjustment capabilities of the spline and rubber flap. I need to find something with either a deeper spline or wider rubber flap.

Were you able to come to any resolution with your issue?

Thanks, Dave Cannell
Storrs, CT
Old 05-31-08, 08:40 PM
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 974
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
eberhardt, dcannell,
Both of you need to talk to someone familiar with Pemko or National product lines, and doors in general.

That item is known as an adjustable astragal.

Find a real door shop or door hardware supplier.
Old 06-01-08, 03:37 AM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 36,607
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Dave, welcome to the forums! Don't know, that was 3 years ago, BUT, is there a T-Astragal on the fixed door? When you close it and secure it, the movable, or main door will close on it forming a seal. Check this site out, as it may have the solution that isn't available at your home center.
Old 12-28-09, 04:23 AM
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: california
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have been trying to stop the drafts and found this with a 3/8" worked well.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: