Window well fills with water

Old 12-29-05, 05:20 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Window well fills with water

I'm also posting this in the Landscaping and Roof & Waterproofing forums -- not sure where it should go.

Last summer I replaced a basement window after moving into this house. The installer advised me to put in a galvanized steel window well. I did and put in several inches of stones.

Once in the summer I left the lawn sprinkler on too long, water filled the well and leaked into the basement.

Now it's winter, but we've had a sudden burst of mild temperatures and rain. The snow cover has thawed. Yesterday the window well filled again and water leaked into the basement.

I think the soil in that area of the yard is clay.

Any ideas on how I can fix this, both when spring comes and, if possible, now?

One thought that occured to me is to dig down below the well wall, insert a plastic pipe and run it along a downward sloping trench to create a drain. But I'm hoping there's an easier fix. thanks.

Old 12-29-05, 04:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
window well fills with water

Window wells should be drained in order to work properly. I couldn't imagine having a swimming pool adjacent to my house with one side open against a glass. That's basically what you have. I think your idea of installing a drain is imperative. Hate to bid bad tidings, but, hey, it's Christmas!!!! Good Luck.

Larry

Old 12-30-05, 06:50 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks. Yesterday was warm enough for me to go outside, get down on my knees and closely examine the site. I think I've spotted the cause. The well is about one foot from where an addition juts out. There's a lot of snow melt dripping from the roof there because the eavestroughs are still snow-packed. The water hits a small patch of ground, maybe a bit more than one foot square. That area slopes down right toward the well and might be directing water through a gap of about a half-inch between the well and the house. The patch of ground is so small that it's almost impossible to see the slope when standing but you don't need much slope to move water over a foot or so. I found a tub of dirt in the garage and am thawing it so I can regrade that spot ro direct the water away from the house. I'll probably put in a drain this spring. thanks again for replying.

Old 12-30-05, 07:41 AM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
there are a number of covers for that problem. we sell one that looks like half of a clear igloo. solves the water problem and still allows light to pass

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: