door bucking and jamb sizing

Old 01-30-06, 05:42 PM
T
Received 55 Votes on 52 Posts
door bucking and jamb sizing

I'm installing an exterior door in a 8" nominal concrete block wall. It will remain a bare wall inside and out, no stucco, no drywall, kind of like a brick look, but using block. Pretty simple job, and i have a simple question. It's going to be an outside opening door, so I know the hinges will be close to the outside opening. Now, how wide should the pressure treated bucking and how wide should the jamb be? I don't think there will be any molding around the opening, but I will likely just stucco around to hide any wood altogether.
I just bought a 4 5/8" jamb kit; is this the right size? Should the bucking match the jamb size?

Old 02-01-06, 02:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
I would install the door as close to the outside wall surface as possible for two reasons. One is if you open your door on a deeply inset frame, you will only be able to get a 90 degree opening on the door, and two: rain sheer. The threshold on the outswing door is mostly inside the room, and an inset door will collect water at its base. Be sure to lay down a generous supply of silicone along the bottom sill when you install it to prevent infiltration of air and water.
Depending on how wide the overall opening is, you may have to do some trim work, since filler strips will possibly give the framing an unsightly look, and no wall is perfectly vertical. You state "no stucco" and then you would stucco, so I can't address that part of your post. Your jamb can be as wide as you want, since you plan no finish, but if looks play a part in it, I would extend the jamb the full width of the block, and trim out the edges on the inside, and brick mold on the outside.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: