interior door install - paint first?

Old 02-16-06, 10:31 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
interior door install - paint first?

I just order a 32" interior pre-hung door to replace aged bathroom door. The new door itself is primed but the door jars (or the frames that the door hung on) are bare wood - no prime, no paint.

My question: Do I need prime/paint whole door before installing. Or install the whole 1st, then prime the door jar and paint whole door?

Old 02-16-06, 11:03 PM
H
I am sorry - I had a typo. All the words "door jar" in my previous mail, should be "door jam" instead.

Sorry again for the confusion.

Old 02-17-06, 05:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
At least you didn't use "jelly" or some really confusing term. And it's "jamb", but who's counting? We got it! It really boils down to personal preference. I would prime/paint the edges of the door casings prior to installation, but install the door before I prime/paint the rest of it. This is because my hands aren't as steady as Marksr or some of the other paint guys on the forum and painting up against existing wall paint can be a bear. Installing the door first gives you a firm painting medium rather than having it flop around on saw horses while you try to paint it.

Old 02-17-06, 10:32 AM
E
I just installed about doz prehung doors around my house, and will be doing some more tomorrow.

tried both ways , and I found it better and faster painting everything, then hanging it and doing a quick touch up.

Also I found by painting before hanging I was able to use a super fine 4" roller , which for me did a better job then a purdy brush.

I prepainted everthing in the end.

Old 02-23-06, 11:53 AM
H
Good point. Sounds like paint before installing is easier. I am going to do just like this.

For 32" width door, what type of nails should I use to nail this pre-hung to to the frame?
How long the nail should be?
Do I need any mail to the top of the frame (I think three nails each side)?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: