1-3/8" Exterior Door

Old 03-01-06, 06:38 PM
Arrow 1-3/8" Exterior Door

Hello,

I have a very old house with 2 front doors. They are both 34" wide, 78.5" tall and 1-3/8" thick. While searching for new doors I've discovered these are not standard measurements and was told I would have to rip out the existing doorways and install new ones with the correct sizes. Needless to say, this is not in my budget. I've recently learned that doors classified as "interior" are 1-3/8" thick. If I bought a solid wood "interior" door and cut it to size, would it be acceptable to use as an exterior door? If not, does anyone have any ideas for me? I appreciate any input, thanks!!

Victoria126

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-06, 07:00 PM
1-3/8" door

Using a 1-3/8" door on the exterior will potentially work. Sometimes the panels (if it's a raised panel door) and glues are different on exterior doors vs. interior doors, but potentially it will be ok. In fact I have a 1-3/8" flush solid core door in use as my exterior garage service door. I installed it as a replacement to the original back in the 1980s and it's still doing fine. If money were no object I would recommend replacing the door and frame with a 1-3/4" door since your existing door is only 1-3/8", but given your stated circumstances a 1-3/8" door is a viable option.

Old 03-02-06, 07:42 AM
1-3/8" Exterior Door

The main difference between ext. and int. doors, if they are truly made of solid wood, is the glue. In California, "Type-1" glue is used. But this is only important if the door stands directly in the weather, not under a porch or awning.

You've already purchased a door. I do hope it is truly solid - real wood all the way around. Otherwise you could have weathering problems. More and more modern doors are being manufactured with slim veneers and particle board. Salvage yards are good sources for old fashioned real wood doors.

Bottom line, keep the door sealed and painted, bottom, top and all around.