Advice on doors and windows

Old 03-07-06, 01:13 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Advice on doors and windows

I was hoping someone might be able to offer some advice on what to look for in doors and windows. I am in the process of having a new home built and am not too versed on what features are important. I know the windows are insulated, 100% vinyl, thermopane, maintenance free, windows (low E glass filled w/argon gas for high insulating value). The doors are insulated steel, energy efficient, solid, 6-panel entry doors. The garage door is steel, 2-car, insulated garage door w/32 raised panels. Should I look into upgrading any of these? Thanks!

Old 03-07-06, 03:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
What you may want to do is check with your contractor and get the brand names and model numbers and sizes of the doors you have in question. At this point you can go to a door store, such as JeldWen, Andersen, Pella, or others, including the big box stores to compare what you have on your list to what is actually out there for your choosing. Remember what you will have installed in your house will obviously not be "top of the line", but should be adequate. Price will have alot to do with it, so get ready for sticker shock. You can compare the good, bad and ugly of all the brands before you get to that stage in construction. Congratulations on your new home, and good luck with your choices.

Old 03-07-06, 04:06 PM
T
New home

Your specifications look pretty good. Here are a few issues or upgrades you might want to look at.
1. Steel doors in CLAD door frames instead of wood-only door frames. It's a nice upgrade to get in a new home. Normally the steel doors that builders get are prehung in a primed wood fingerjointed frame. The fingerjoints can swell and open up a bit over the years. Spend the extra $50-100 bucks and get a frame that never needs painting. Make sure the hinges match the color of the doorknob. So often I see brass hinges but with satin nickel or black locksets. Ugh!

2. Are the rails of the vinyl window sashes reinforced with metal (usually steel or aluminum) or are they just hollow? Reinforced vinyl windows are not a must but make the window stronger, usually have a higher windload rating, and are more sag resistant. I would say it IS a must in vinyl patio doors.

3. What is the warranty on the vinyl windows? Some low-end ones are 5 or 10 years. The better warranties are lifetime on the vinyl parts, and 20 years to lifetime on the glass itself. If the window you're getting has a 5 or 10 year warranty, run away fast!

I wish you a stress-free building experience and many happy years of occupancy!

Old 03-12-06, 05:31 PM
M
Thanks for the advice! We asked the builder and it looks like the windows are made by Crestline and have a lifetime warranty. From the way it was explained to us, it sounds like they are warrantied 100% for the first 10 years and then pro-rated after that. Does that sound right? I bielieve it's the Vinylcrest 200 series. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: