Installing a Door

Old 03-11-06, 07:41 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing a Door

My house is 21 yrs. old, now i want to put a door in the master bedroom, to the 1/2 bathroom,
on the other side of the wall. I got all tools, but don't know how to go about it?. I can find web
sites that tell how to frame a door in a new wall, but not a wall that is already there, any help.
Wisconsin Wally

Old 03-11-06, 07:59 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I'm not sure I have this correctly - you're cutting a hole in a wall between your bedroom and bathroom to install a door, or you're putting a door in an already existent opening in the wall?

Old 03-11-06, 08:08 AM
W
I want to cut a hold in the existing wall, from bedroom to bathroom so i don't have to walk around
the house to use the 1/2 bathroom.

Old 03-11-06, 11:49 AM
D
When you make a hole in a wall for a new door opening, you'd best be sure the wall is not "bearing," that means, supporting the weight of the ceiling joists and/or rafters. If the wall is bearing, then the adjacent joists might need to be supported with temporary bracing before the wall is opened and existing studs cut. How to make this determination (bearing or not) requires a knowledge of house framing which I judge you may not possess.

Proper ways to "header up" (properly frame) a door opening can be found in many basic house building books. A proper beam header is most important in bearing walls. Its installation and that of the trim studs supporting it require at least one side of the wall to be opened up much wider than the door opening itself.

Perhaps a licensed handyman could get be your partner in this job, or better yet the people at your local building and safety department.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: