New Steel Door, when to paint?

Old 04-24-06, 05:27 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Steel Door, when to paint?

I am installing a new steel front entry door that needs painted. It is a door with two sidelights. I wasn't sure if it would be best to paint it before, or after I install it?

I can lay the door down flat in my garage, and I was thinking of using spray paint. It being flat would keep the paint from running. Does this sound ok, or is there a better way to do it?

If spray paint in ok, what would be the best type to use? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-06, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rwilson
I am installing a new steel front entry door that needs painted. It is a door with two sidelights. I wasn't sure if it would be best to paint it before, or after I install it?

I can lay the door down flat in my garage, and I was thinking of using spray paint. It being flat would keep the paint from running. Does this sound ok, or is there a better way to do it?

If spray paint in ok, what would be the best type to use? Thanks.
Hi rwilson,

As a locksmith, and not a painter, I would paint it before installing. I am one of those that likes overkill, so I would prime it again, and then use a good quality paint. My favorite is rust-o-leum. That should protect it fairly well, but make sure you give the paint a good length of time to dry before putting the hardware on.

cuedude