Installing a 3-hinged door on a bowed jamb

Old 05-13-06, 04:55 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing a 3-hinged door on a bowed jamb

In the process of replacing an interior door, I discovered that the jamb is bowed outward slightly. This wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for the fact that I'm hanging a heavier door that requires three hinges. I discovered this after having already installed the middle hinge on the jamb. In order to get the middle hinge on the door to fit properly, it seems I'd have to install the leading edge of the hinge deeper so that the hinge is coming off the door at an angle. Not sure if that will even work.

Aside from ripping out the jamb and resetting it with shims so that it's straight, is there any recommendations for a quicker fix. Is there a material I could use to fill in the bowed section of the jamb and then reinstall the middle hinge?

I suppose I could take a chance that two hinges will do the trick and just fill in the recess on the jamb left by the middle hinge with some drywall compound.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Old 05-13-06, 06:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Arch: It may take a little work, but you can take the bow out of the jamb. Drill and countersink a hole for a couple of 3" #8 screws. Install the screws and see if that doesn't help bring it back into correctness. Place one above the middle hinge, and the other below it. Aside from that, you would be better off replacing the jamb, but that is alot of work, with the case molding, etc. already in place. Try it and post back with results. Good luck.

Old 05-13-06, 07:30 PM
A
Thanks for the reply, Larry.
I may be misunderstanding you, but how does installing the screws straighten out the jamb? That seems to make sense if it were bowed inward toward the door, but it's bowed outward.
Is the idea that the screws would pull the jamb out slightly?
A more detailed explanation would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, again, Larry.

Old 05-13-06, 07:42 PM
G
Using screws may pull the jamb in to the wall and get rid of the bow - if there is any play or shrinkage in the original shims used - if any.

Depending on the door material and extent of the bow, you can shape the edge of the door to match - this should go unoticed if the bow is only slight.

Old 05-14-06, 10:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Arch: Sorry for the misunderstanding. Outward to me would have meant toward the door, so that was the reason for the suggestion. Sort of like trying to explain what building to you enter from the front and it immediately becomes the back -- a church. But you have the opposite problem. You will need to remove the offending side's case molding, install additional shims in the middle, thereby placing pressure on the jamb toward the door. The door is square, so anything you do to correct the problem will need to be done on the jambs. Modifying the door won't correct the problem, only mask it.

Old 05-15-06, 10:18 AM
A
Thanks again, Larry. I had pretty much resigned myself to ripping out the casing, which I just finished replacing and painting last week. Oh well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: