air conditioner in replacement window

Old 05-27-06, 06:59 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
air conditioner in replacement window

I have the lip on my replacement window and i'm worried about it braking the plastic lip if all that weight is set on it. We rigged something up with a brick last summer but it was a poor set up. I wonder if there is something you can buy that is ready made for replacement windows with air conditioner window units.

Any help would be appreciated.
thanks,
charlie

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-06, 07:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Most of your weight is on the part of the ac sticking outside. That is where you need the most support. Normally there are angle braces that are attached to your house and to the bottom of the ac unit to keep the weight off the outer edge of the window. Be sure to angle it downward to the outside for proper drainage of the condensate. You will have minimal weight on the sill part of your window once you support it from the outside. If you don't want to drill holes into the siding of your house, you can opt to build vertical standards that sit on a footing in the ground, or that cantilever back to the foundation of your house, giving the needed support.

Old 05-27-06, 11:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 576 Votes on 529 Posts
If a homeowner is going to be placing a window air conditioner into a vinyl window that I have installed, I will make them a block of wood that fits exactly into the bottom of the window so that the weight of the A/C is distributed across the entire frame, not just the lip.

Old 05-27-06, 12:16 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Chandler--i definitely don't want to drill a hole and they are both on the second floor. The problem is the lip is so thin and can't handle the weight.

Xsleeper- i thought of a block of wood but was hoping there was an aftermarket kit or something that would fall on both sides of the lip and not put any weight on the lip at all.

Old 05-27-06, 07:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Oooo, second floor trick. There goes the vertical support. I agree with the "resting" board under the unit at the sill, but you can't use this as a fastening point, nor a supporting point, except for the frontal weight. The rear weight is going to be your problem, as it must be supported, and you have no choice but to attach cantilevered support to the side of your house. Without this support, you will be replacing your replacement window due to the outward pressure of the weight of the unit.

Old 05-27-06, 08:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 576 Votes on 529 Posts
To keep the weight of the A/C from pulling out on the sash, I usually equip the wall box with eyelets bolted through the top of the box, then connect these eyelets to a pair on the house (usually located on the trim). Chain and a pair of turnbuckles with hooks allow for easy adjustment of the tension.