Changing bypass closet doors to swing doors

Old 05-30-06, 10:37 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Changing bypass closet doors to swing doors

We are renovating a small home and are looking to remove the sliding (bypass) closet doors and hang two swing doors in their place. I haven't been able to find much information on what is the best way to go after this project. Can anyone help?
Thanks

Old 05-30-06, 03:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,813 Upvotes on 1,630 Posts
It's hard to say how complicated this would be without seeing the openings. Does the opening have drywall on the sides, or is there a wooden jamb that is trimmed around the edges with casing?

If the jamb is drywall, I would think that you'd have a hard time adding hinged doors, since you'd have to face mount the hinges onto the drywall, and I doubt that would last too long.

If the jamb is wood, then it would be fairly simple for a trim carpenter to get 2 slab doors, mortise hinges into the jambs with a router, mortise hinges into the slab doors, install door stop on the top and sides, install ball-catches on the tops of the doors, and maybe an astragal onto one of the doors (the passive one).

If the jamb is drywall, you might be better off removing the drywall from the top and sides of the jamb and having a custom prehung double door built that would fit right into your existing rough opening.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: