body filler to fix wood storm windows??

Old 06-07-06, 11:05 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: cambridge, Ontario
Posts: 81
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
body filler to fix wood storm windows??

Hey guys,

Just wondering what the best way to fix some old storm windows would be.

There is some rot at the bottom which i am thinking of using body filler on, but also where the glass is mounted it seems like there is probably putty which is lifting or missing completely in a few spots. Would body filler be acceptable in either of these repairs?

Thanks for the help...
Old 06-07-06, 12:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 45,725
Received 850 Upvotes on 746 Posts
I have heard of folks using body filler on wood but I have never done so. When patching a small amount of rot I normally use durhams rock hard putty. Window glazing is what is normally used to hold the glass in place and seal it.

Patching rotten wood doesn't do well unless you can remove all the rotted/decayed wood. Whenever feasable it is always better to replace the rotten board. Even just cutting out the rot and attaching a piece of new wood to fill the void is better than patching.
Old 06-07-06, 02:50 PM
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 1,823
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Minwax makes a product for treating the edges of areas of rotted wood after all rot is removed that prepares the wood for filler (wish I could remember the exact name,might be Wood Hardener).They also make an excellent wood filler that is used and prepared in a similar manor to body filler but incorporates wood as an ingredient and is more wood like in it's response to paint,stain etc.

Glazing compound is the accepted product for holding glass.Makes sure you remove any loose glazing still on the frame.Only glazing that is still strongly adhereing and in good condition should be left.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: