Remodeling software

Old 07-04-06, 06:29 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Remodeling software

Is there a software package that lets you take a picture of our house then add things like windows, doors, patio etc. ? We are looking to add a couple of windows to the back of our house. We are havine some troouble deciding what will look best. Thanks Tim

Old 07-04-06, 05:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I saw it in use on one of the This Old House episodes. But it was in the possession of an Architect, and thusly, was probably exorbitantly expensive. You may check their site to see if there is one available to us common folk.

Old 07-05-06, 12:49 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Software

Yes, there are a bunch of those type of programs available. I have 2 or 3 different ones myself. My favorite (long discontinued) was by Planix. Most of the programs out there do not allow for you to superimpose windows, landscaping, etc. on to a photograph, only on to a drawing. But there are some that do it with actual photographs. If you go to a store like Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City, etc., you should be able to pick one up, usually for $29-$79. One I'd recommend is IMAGINE YOUR REMODELING by MacMillian Software (you might even be able to get it thru eBay). It's a 5-CD set, each CD with a different database of products to drag and drop on top of your photos (One CD covers landscaping, another decks/pools/hot tubs, another windows/doors/trim, another interior kitchens/baths, etc.). It might still be available at macmilliansoftware.com but I didn't check.

Another choice is Punch Professional Home Design Platinum Suite 8: "Import real-life photos of your house, and create new interior and landscape designs." Haven't tried it, but it has great reviews. It's also current. Not sure if it has windows as a category but I assume it does.

But my main advice is to go to a large computer store and look at the choices, read the boxes, and see which ones allow you to import actual photos of your home. Those programs keep coming and going so the ones recommended just a year or two ago might no longer be available.

Old 07-05-06, 07:51 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thanks much for the information. I wasn't sure if there was such a program. I used to have 3D achitect (sp?) but that is real old now and I wasn't too happy with it when I bought it. Thanks again...TIm

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: