French Door Glass Replacement

Old 07-28-06, 08:28 PM
Y
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
French Door Glass Replacement

I want to simply replace the clear glass inserts in my french patio door with "blinds between the glass" inserts. The doors are fine but folks are moving in behind us and privacy is now an issue. Does anyone know where I can buy just the glass inserts (with blinds between them)? I've checked the major suppliers (pella, andersen, larson, etc.) but so far no luck. Thanks for any help.

Old 07-29-06, 06:33 AM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
There is no way. You'll have to put the blinds on the inside surface of the doors.

Old 07-29-06, 07:32 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by johnam
There is no way. You'll have to put the blinds on the inside surface of the doors.
Or buy new doors with the blinds inside (if, in fact, you can find them)

Old 07-29-06, 10:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Purchasing blinds that are installed on the interior surface of the door is a much more practical solution. Some types are held onto the door with powerful magnets.

The problem with finding "integral blinds" for your door is that IGU's with integral blinds have to be a certain thickness (such as 7/8") and are a certain predetermined size, depending on the manufacturer. If you have no idea what brand your door is finding a glass unit that would fit your door, with integral blinds, would be highly difficult.

It could be that your door has a 1/2" IGU which is very common in exterior doors. 1/2" is too narrow for integral blinds.

You could check with a company like odl.com, who specialize in that sort of thing. You could also Google: "integral doorglass treatments" in quotes, and you will find pages on their products. However, most of their products are incorporated into NEW building materials, and they aren't geared toward retrofitting their products into existing ones. It wouldn't hurt to give them a call, but before you do, you should be prepared to have specific information regarding your glass measurements (WxHxD) along with the thickness of your door.

Old 08-04-06, 09:12 PM
S
Another idea...

I know this isn't what you were looking for (I actually have the french doors with blinds b/t them and LOVE them so far)
Even though they were expensive- it's surprising how "cheaply made" the sliding plastic pieces are that operate the system...
My fingers are crossed these don't break!
Anyways, my mom had your issue w/neighbors & used a textured stained glass cut to fit her panels in the doors she had but didn't change out ALL of them- she did a pretty pattern and left some clear to still have a nice view and good light- but it still lends to descent privacy!
Not a hard job (especially if you have your own little glass cutter and go to a stained glass supply store) OR you could put glass etching solution on every other pane too in an intricate design...

Old 08-27-07, 08:01 AM
T
Red face French door blinds.

Hey there,
I don't know if this will help, but I found a great alternative. It is a full size attachment that is affixed to the door (very easily) and it has the blinds inside the glass. Essentially you clamp this boxlike piece over the existing glass. It looks quite nice and is very effective. They run about $100 each and you can get them at the big chain home centers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: