Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

How do I remove a new construction vinyl window?

Old 08-04-06, 06:55 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have a condo, and I want to replace the bedroom window. The current window is a new construction vinyl window, and there is aluminum siding on the outside. Since this is a condo, I would prefer to remove the window without touching the outside of the building. Is this possible? How do I remove my current window?

Old 08-04-06, 07:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
You may want to check with your association, since the window IS part of the outside of the building. They may have to approve the design and type window to be replaced. If it is faulty, you may have standing to get it replaced by the association.
From a pure construction stand point, you won't remove the window without removing some of the siding or without totally destroying the window in the process.
The new construction window was probably installed with a nailing fin, and it was installed directly to the framing, then OSB applied over that, then Tyvek, then the aluminum siding.
I just replaced 12 new construction windows on a house for a customer, but it was vinyl siding luckily. Remove siding, cut just OSB 2" out from window frame, save pieces, remove window, replace window, replace pieces, replace siding.

Old 08-04-06, 08:50 PM
E
I read through the condo docs, and it seems like the window is my responsibility. I could be wrong though....so I'll ask the property manager. It looks like there is aluminum siding trim around the window. How do I remove this trim?

Last edited by DIYaddict; 08-05-06 at 11:45 AM. Reason: removed quote as it's unnecessary
Old 08-05-06, 10:02 AM
M
With most condos and apt. buildings, the windows are part of the exterior. Maintenance and replacement are generally done by the condo/owner. Check carefully first before doing anything. I know, I am a property manager.

Old 08-05-06, 10:43 AM
they also may require you to hire someone to do it

Old 08-05-06, 10:44 AM
E
I own the unit, and the condo bylaws say that the window is the responsibility of the unit owner. Granted, the bylaws are in legalese, so I am not 100% certain I am correct. I will still check with the property manager, but I would be pretty surprised if it turned out that the condo association has to replace them.

Originally Posted by Michelle16
With most condos and apt. buildings, the windows are part of the exterior. Maintenance and replacement are generally done by the condo/owner. Check carefully first before doing anything. I know, I am a property manager.

Old 08-05-06, 10:54 AM
E
I would prefer to hire someone. However, the job would only be for one window, and the places I've tried require a minimum of 3 windows to be installed. Any suggestions on how/where I can find someone who would install just one window? I am in Gaithersburg, MD (Washington D.C area) if that helps.

Originally Posted by mango man
they also may require you to hire someone to do it

Old 08-05-06, 03:46 PM
E
Some Photos

Here is a link to some photos of the window:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elevine...7594225537329/

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: