Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Sill Replacement, etc. On New Window Installations

Old 09-28-06, 04:57 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello:

Have some typical Double-Hung windows that need to be replaced.

I understand that there is a
New Construction" type that is done from the outside, and "Replacement" types that are installed from the inside.

The installed from the inside sure sounds a lot better, as I don't want the house Siding disturbed, if possible. Any reason this is not a good approach, or should I consider the New Construction way as being "better" in some regards ?

If done from the inside, what happens to the outside Sill ?

These windows, after looking at some in HD, don't seem to come with an outside Sill. Is the original Sill still used ?

If rotted and needs replacement, is this usually done at the same time as the installation ?
Is Sill replacement a "big job," and expensive ?

Much thanks,
Bob

Old 09-28-06, 10:09 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I replaced one smaller window in a bathroom with vinyl. All external finish was left as it was. Old window frame became new window opening. I did not replace old rotten sill. I cover it with painted aluminum. It was my first window I changed. I found that other windows were undersized in their rough opening by about 1” on each side. Then I found that Andersen’s size fits my rough opening with ¼” to spare. I bought that size and had to cut sidings by about this 1”. I removed old windows with their frames. After I read all documents I found on Andersen Web site I was able to dismantle new windows. Now working with light frame only was very easy and possible from inside. It allowed precise placement, securing with screws through frame, that gave me much sturdier feel compared with securing through vinyl apron only. I put back sashes and slides when frame was fully secured.
I found that when the sill was rotten some finish moldings were rotten too. Underside flashings needed to be corrected, finish moldings replaced and all sealed and caulked. In short replacing windows with rot is labor. There is always something: water stain that needs to be traced and corrected, inadequate or wrong framing that gives window wobbly feeling, rot/mold/termite and more.
Ed

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: