Bowed window frames?

Old 10-03-06, 05:27 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bowed window frames?

I had some windows installed two years ago, and noticed that the top part of the PVC framing (on the window itself) is bowed. The installer said it's normal, and hammered it back up into place. The windows are 'awning' type ones that open out/up.

I think he's wrong.

Feedback? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-06, 06:31 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Window

I agree with you.
Do you mean the top of the frame is bowed downward?
Could be too much insulation installed above the frame or too much pressure pushing from the sides at the top due to incorrect installation.

Old 10-03-06, 06:55 AM
Thanks wirepuller. That's what I figured. I mentioned the overstuffing of insulation, and the installer told me that it was fine. I'm waiting on the supervisor, now.

Thanks again

Old 10-03-06, 01:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 162 Votes on 152 Posts
I would just imagine that the window needed more installation screws installed in the frame. Any vinyl window wider than about 28" wide will need some sort of extra screws to keep the top from bowing down. Gravity along with expansion and contraction will cause the windows to bow. I could have something to do with overstuffing insulation, but if it took 2 years to show up, my guess is that it's just sagging. Vinyl's a pretty wimpy product.

Old 10-03-06, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the feedback. It's not the actual 'frame' of the window, but the framing/trim of the glass itself, if that makes any sense.

In other words, not the "box", but the vinyl part that trims the glass. That top part bows downward for some odd reason.

Old 10-03-06, 08:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 162 Votes on 152 Posts
If it's the window sash that is bowing and not the frame, it would have nothing to do with overstuffed insulation.

Instead, it sounds like it would likely have more to do with the way the window was manufactured, a design weakness... in other words it sounds like a problem with the window itself... not with the way it was put in.

Usually the IGU (the double paned glass unit) is actually what holds the frame of a window sash straight. However the frame of the sash is not tight against the glass... there is usually a 1/8" space around the edge of the glass. Small rubber "setting blocks" are installed in this space around the perimeter of the glass to act as shims. I would imagine that it would be possible that if the glazing strips were removed to expose the edge of the IGU, one would find that there are none of these rubber setting blocks above the center of the glass, which would allow the vinyl frame of that sash to bow down.

When you say that he "hammered it back up into place", that makes me wonder what actually is wrong. It almost sounds like he was tapping in a loose glazing strip or something. If you have a digital camera, you could snap a picture, upload it somewhere, then post a link to the picture here. I'm sure someone would be glad to take a look and offer a suggestion.