Window repairs

Old 11-21-06, 07:44 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Window repairs

I have a 1980's house in the Phila area that unfortunitely has a heat pump. The windows that were used are alumimum two part window that basically has a what is a storm window on the inside. The seals on the main windows are broken on several sashes and allow condensation inbetween the panes. The top sash does not appear to be removable, but obviously it must be. Does anyone know how to remove these sashes and what it may cost for replacements. I would like to replace them but do not have the cash since I want wooden replacements not vinyl and then my aluminum siding would need to be replaced at the same time.
Thanks

Old 11-21-06, 11:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,744 Upvotes on 1,568 Posts
Its hard to say how to remove the glass without seeing a close-up picture of the window itself. But generally, if your top sash is fixed (non-operating) then you probably have a type of single-hung window. The insulating glass units (IGU's) are usually kept in place by glazing stops. If you examine the perimeter of the glass on the interior or exterior, you may notice a groove that is approximately 5/8" wide. This would be the edge of the glazing stop that would get removed in order to remove/replace the glass. Sometimes it's on the inside, sometimes on the outside. IGU's are all custom made, and you would need to measure the exact glass size and thickness in order to place an order for replacement. Glass is usually either glazed with 100% silicone, double faced tape, or a combination of the two. Generally it's not a DIY'er job... glass shops usually will come out, measure, make and install the glass they have measured.

Old 11-21-06, 12:22 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I am going to call a local glass company and see if they will come out and look at them. I don't have a probelm taking them out for a few days since there is a storm style window inside.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: