5/8" sheetrock on pocket door kit?

Old 03-18-07, 06:03 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
5/8" sheetrock on pocket door kit?

Are there any special considerations when using 5/8" sheetrock over a pocket door frame (kit)?

Here's the scenario:
I am framing a utility room (furnace and hot water heater) and code calls for 5/8" sheetrock. To the left of the utility room, I'm framing a small pantry. Because of some nearby duct work, using a pocket door for the pantry solves a number of problems. The door would have to slide to the left--within the wall of the utility room. So, I'd have to hand 5/8" sheetrock on one side of the utility room. I wasn't sure of the small slats of the kits can handle the 5/8".

Thanks.

Old 03-18-07, 06:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 938 Votes on 856 Posts
No issues. The latch side jamb and pocket side stops you make will just be a little wider than if 1/2" sheetrock were used, due to the increased overall wall thickness.

Old 03-19-07, 04:08 AM
J
Just a thought, if 5/8 firecode drywall is required, isn't a fire rated door(metal) also required???

Old 03-19-07, 04:58 AM
G
Bill,

I believe you are correct. But the 5/8" SR is for the utility room, and the pocket door is for the pantry (which does not need 5/8.

Old 03-24-07, 07:38 PM
J
I'm confused like Bill, I can't understand the how the drywall is on the pocket door wall but not part of the assembly. But anyways 5/8 drywall is not an issue I'm finishing a bldg that had over 200 pocket doors all hung with 5/8. Also another product you could use if you want to stay with 1/2 board is the type C drywall which will give you the same rating as type X 5/8 drywall. Type C drywall can be purchased a drywall supply places the box stores don't carry it.

Old 03-25-07, 04:45 AM
G
Jampac,

Thanks for your reply.

The pocket door wall IS part of the assembly. Perhaps this will clarify: When the pocket door is closed, it will block entry into the pantry (which does not need fire rated SR). However, when the door slides into the "pocket" wall, it will be within a wall of the utility room needs which needs the fire rated SR.

The rooms are side by side. The pantry to the left and utility to the right. When the pocket door slides open, it slides to the right.

Old 03-25-07, 04:18 PM
J
To answer the question, there is no problem hanging 5/8 on the pocket door framing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: