cracked interior door frame

Old 04-24-07, 03:21 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy cracked interior door frame

please help! someone kicked in my door and now i have a crack on the inside where the locks go running completely up and down. I think that i may able to replace the piece of wood itself and not the entire frame right? I live in an apt does that make a difference?

***Moderator's note: Duplicate thread
created in the Carpentry and Woodworking
Topic has been deleted***

Last edited by DIYaddict; 04-24-07 at 03:52 PM. Reason: see note in post
Old 04-24-07, 03:43 PM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 27,181
Received 1,940 Upvotes on 1,742 Posts
Yes, you need to replace the jamb on the latch side.

If this is an interior prehung door (no threshold) it likely means removing the 2 pieces of trim on the latch side of the door. You'll also likely have to cut the finish nails that hold the jamb in place (reciprocating saw).

Cutting the jamb in half is the easiest way to get it out. Then you'll strike the top half (near the top) with a hammer to loosen the nails that attach it to the top jamb.

You can buy jamb stock in most big box stores- it will already have a dado on the top, which is what the top jamb will fit into. You'd just cut it to the right length and install it, shimming it tight to the head and backing it with some shims, attaching it with long casing nails. Then reassemble the trim.

However if this is an exterior door (with threshold), it becomes a little more difficult to repair just the jamb. You might instead be looking at gluing and screwing the jamb back together with long screws, or fabricating some sort of mending plate over the damaged area.

Since this is an apartment, you should contact the management before attempting any repair. They usually have maintenance personnel take care of such repairs.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: