Retractable Screens

Old 04-24-07, 04:07 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Retractable Screens

Any thoughts on retractable screens? I was looking for something inexpensive and something I can do myself and found retractable screens available. This is for my front entrance door. (I have double doors in the front.)

I thought it would be nice to get a breeze of fresh air from the front sometimes as I noticed when I would leave the front door open for a bit, the living room and family room gets some good air. There is a patio door but the breeze doesn't come in as well as it does in the front. I don't like the look of screen doors especially at the front door so I thought maybe the retractable screens would be good.

Any thoughts on these things?

Also, the particular one I was looking at shows:

Unit Height 80"
Unit Length 64"
Width/Depth 36"

I understand the height and width but what's the length? Isn't the height of it up and down? But isn't the length up and down too? I know this'll hit me eventually... but I'm not getting it right now

Last edited by DIYaddict; 04-24-07 at 04:19 PM. Reason: more info
Old 04-24-07, 05:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You got cats? They will find out about the bottom of the screen not being attached to anything in about 30 seconds. The screen only runs in a channel with weatherstripping.
Overall, they are OK, with the exception of the cat thing. Especially if you have an outward opening front door. Several condo's here have that, I have installed some so they can have adequate ventilation.

Old 04-24-07, 07:52 PM
D
No cats, no dogs, no animals Door swings in. Oooo...yikes...maybe outdoor cats I've seen might come in? Something to think about huh? Does this thing sound too tacky? Is this an obvious..."Oh she's too cheap to get a screen door?"

The bottom doesn't attach to anything? So if it's windy it just blows in or out with the wind? Or b/c of the channel/weatherstrip thing...that's what hold it in place sorta? Hmmmm..... Absolutely nothing on the bottom?

The one I was thinking about is over $100.

So...the width, height, and length thing still hasn't hit me. Any thoughts? Easy to shop online but I saw it was a catalog/site order only.

Old 04-25-07, 03:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The raw bottom of the screen rides in a channel with weatherstripping, but you can push on it and it will come out of the channel. It goes right back in once you retract it, but it still isn't very secure. IMO, I wouldn't opt for this if you have an inward opening door. A nice breezy storm door for about $65 more would do well. To me, they seem to be the "only" alternative if the door swings out, and the customer wants ventilation.

Old 04-25-07, 09:36 AM
D
Thanks Larry. I think I'll go with a storm door. I've glanced around a bit and they actually don't look bad. If the cost is only by that much more...it sounds like something to go with.

I'll do my research.

Thanks a bunch for that info. If I didn't ask, I would've done the retractable screen.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: