Air/Gas Lifts For Skylight

Old 04-26-07, 01:59 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Air/Gas Lifts For Skylight

I have a pair of these that open my bathroom skylight and they fail completly after about 1-1/2 to 2 years. I think both extreme temperatures of summer and winter are responsible for the failure.
These air/gas lifts are the same as you find, that open up the rear hatch of suv's. When the skylight was new, the original lifts were rated at near 15 to 20 lbs each (opening power). With each new replacements, I stepped up to a stronger lift, thinking it would last longer.

During the cold season, the skylight is sealed off with a single storm window.
I think the lack of operating the lifts occasionally during the cold season also contributes to the failure because they are under constant pressure for at least 4 months. I also have a flat asphalt roof, the heat of which may also be affecting the lifts.

I don't think these lifts fail as much in vehicles as they do in my installation. So is it a design problem? Do I need to convert to mechanical crank method to solve this and is it possible? Do you know where I can purchase it?
What would be your solution?

Old 04-26-07, 04:14 PM
R
I located a dealer and ordered a manual skylight operator and hand crank. I hope this last longer then those air/gas lifts.

Old 04-27-07, 04:51 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I'd install an electric lift.. but that's just me.

Old 04-27-07, 05:07 AM
It may have just been the quality of the shock itself. I have been getting them through Mcmaster Carr and use them for roof access hatches. They seem to last many years and some are exposed to just as harsh of temps as you described.

Old 04-27-07, 08:28 AM
R
Mattison,
Thanks, I'll keep that name on file. I expect to receive the manual operator by monday and if I am not pleased with it, I'll check into Mcmaster Carr. Would you happen to know what pressure they operate at? Do they have a web site? I noticed you called the lift, a Shock. Mcmaster Carr is not an auto parts dealer, are they? I checked an auto parts store and a knowledgeable sales clerk advise me not to use their Lifts because all of them are made for heavier use such as car hoods and hatches.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: