Truth Casement Window Opener Broken?

Old 05-17-07, 12:55 PM
V
VMH
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Truth Casement Window Opener Broken?

Hello All: Our house, built in 1987, has windows with Truth Casement 20810 EntryGard Window openers. Some are starting to have the problem that they will crank open but not closed. I took the cover off the mechanism and after cleaning out the debris and gritty grease, watched the mechanism work. Upon opening the window all looked OK, however when cranking the window closed the corkscrew stem (sorry I do not know what the proper name is) backs itself out of the tube that normally holds it. Also the silver ring around the top portion of the stem that seats inside the tube is loose. I'm not sure it is supposed to be loose. I have a photo of my stem and a general picture of the unit at http://new.photos.yahoo.com/vmhgeneral/albums

Also, should the corkscrew and gears on these openers be greased? If so with what in particular. I am sure all previous owners of this house never bothered.

Thanks.

Old 05-17-07, 01:59 PM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
What you have is a broken Truth operator that is not repairable and must be replaced. The piece that came off is a pressed fit and this is very common with Truth operators.

Old 05-17-07, 02:20 PM
V
VMH
Ok, but what about the lubricant?

Thanks for the prompt response. I was hoping not to hear that particular one, but so be it. I can still get replacement openers.

But what about the ones that still work? Obviously the debris should be cleaned out periodically, but should I add grease? And if so, what kind?

Thanks so much.

Old 05-17-07, 02:32 PM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
A good cleaning, a little white grease on the gears and a spray silicone on the hinges so keep the windows in good working order.

Old 05-17-07, 03:48 PM
J
Lowes and Home depot both carry truth operators, and they should be available online. As suggested above, not repairable.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: