Aluminum Single Hung Parts

Old 05-26-07, 12:38 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Aluminum Single Hung Parts

I am trying to service single hung aluminum windows in a rental townhome; the balances are track style with aluminum cord style balances. The end nylon/plastic guide caps are broken and are impossible to replace since they're gone and disintegrated. The sash has no brand ANYWHERE. IS THERE ANY SOURCE FOR TRYING TO GET SERVICE PARTS FOR CORD STYLE BALANCES ?
Old 05-26-07, 02:22 PM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 26,416
Received 1,748 Upvotes on 1,572 Posts
Is there a number punched on the face of the balance? It's usually found on the bottom 1/3 of the balance, on the side that faces the sash as it hangs in the frame. Usually it will be a number like 2030, 2430, 2840 and so on. The first number is roughly how many inches long the balance is, the 2nd number represents the strength of the spring. Other times the number will be 20X or 24X where "X" will either be the letter A, B, C, or D, and where A=10, B=20, C=30, D=40.

You might be able to locate them by searching Google for:

"window channel balance" <--with search parameters in quotes

you should find several sources. You just need to get the right combination of length and strength. There are hundreds of possible combinations depending on the size and weight of the window.


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: