54 inch opening for sliding doors

Old 06-04-07, 12:29 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
54 inch opening for sliding doors

I built a new closet in my basement because i plan on putting a bathroom where the old closet was. The opening is 54 inchesby 78 1/2 with the jambs installed. I was planning on using 2 28 inch doors, this will give 2 inches of overlap. I will purchase a track system for 5 foot and just cut it to size. When i measure at top the width is 54 3/8 so i think it is sligtly out of plumb, will this cause a problem? I guess I'm going to have to special order new masonite 78 inch 6 panel doors because they dont stock them at the big box stores.

Old 06-04-07, 04:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
The problem the non plumbness will cause is a gap at the top of the door on the side. If you install 3/4 x 3/4 stop trim, no one will notice (hopefully). Correcting the plumb is the other option. Why would you have to order 78" doors? Why not just buy standard 80" doors and cut them off? While you are at it, you can cut 1/2" off both sides of both doors, and they will fit even better.

Old 06-05-07, 08:05 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The minor out-of-plumb frame is no problem at all. The rollers on top of bi-pass (sliding) closet doors are adjustable so the doors will fit tight against the side jambs. Bi-pass doors normally must be 1-5/8" less than the net finished height from floor to the top jamb. For a 78 1/2" tall opening have the doors custom cut to 76 7/8" (or do them yourself).
Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: