insulated windows fogged - how to fix?

Old 07-30-07, 09:46 AM
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Unhappy insulated windows fogged - how to fix?

I've looked through pages and pages of old posts and I can't beleive that no one else has asked this....so I must have missed it, and I apologize in advance for asking a question that I know must have been asked many times before.

My house was built in 1994, and has wood double-hung windows. I had all the exterior wood trim replaced where needed, repainted, and covered in vinyl 3 years ago, so all that is in great shape. But in the last couple of years, I have noticed 3 or 4 windows that have fog, or condensation really, insided the panes. I was told this is due to the "seal" that is broken somewhere around the window, and is allowing moisture in. How on earth do I fix this? I did call one window place and they said that I should remove the window (they do "pop" out, so I could conceivably do that) and bring it in and they can repair the seal. But that means I have no window in place?? Is that really what people do?? How do most people handle this? Are there companies that come out and repair them onsite? What should I expect in cost? Thanks...and as I said...sorry if this is repetitive!

Old 07-30-07, 10:32 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
insulated windows fogged - how to fix?

You have to remove the glass portion of the window - insulating glass unit (IGU) and replace it.

You can take it out if you are handy or you can have an installer do it for you.

Since you have 3 or 4 windows, having someone come out to do all at once may be viable. Usually the second, third, fourth, etc. windows are discounted.

Since your windows are fairly new and probably common sizes, the glass shops may have IGU units in stock or can make them up quickly. In my case, I had a 28 year old oversize sliding door glass panel to br replaced. When the technician came out, to measure, he found he had a unit in his truck that was the proper size. The total call took about 20 minutes, including cleaning and adjusting the wheels. I was lucky to be in an area that had a number of glass installers with stocked trucks.

Since you are in the Tidewater area, you should also have a number of good glass shops in your area. - I lived in Chesapeake (Riverwalk development - east of Battlefield) from 1990 to 1994.

Old 07-30-07, 10:45 AM
Found it...

I looked through the Yellow Pages and found Binswanger Glass...a company that I've known long enough that it is reputable (had glass cut there years ago...) but I had forgotten about. They don't much of a web presence site so I missed them - was looking online. Sometimes you just need to drag out those yellow pages. :-)

They told me it was much more cost-effective for me to bring in the windows...they measure and order the new glass unit...and then I take the window back home...and repeat the process when the glass is ready. A bit of work, but worth the extra $150 it would cost me to have them come out. I put plastic on the windows...and today was a good day to do it as I am off, and my son is home to watch over things!! Thanks. :-)

Old 07-30-07, 04:03 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Most quality windows have a 20 yr warranty on the glass for this very problem. Do you know the manufacturer?? There are usually sticker/tags on the sides or edges of the sashes.

Old 07-30-07, 04:33 PM
Cool

No...nothing at all on the windows to indicate who made them. I took them up to the glass place today...they measured and ordered new panes...$70 a window, and that doesn't sound too bad I guess (these are good sized windows too). Of course once I pulled them out, I saw that the paint was peeling and cracked, so I went ahead and sanded and primed them, then put them back in. I'll paint them when I take them out again once the glass comes in. Went ahead and did the same for one more window...and now of course I have another task on my "to do list"...sand and paint the windows! It never ends!!

Old 07-30-07, 05:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I hope you didn't paint the sides of the sash! Double hung sashes or sliders that ride on vinyl jambs will stick and bind if painted on the sides that contact the jamb.

Old 07-30-07, 09:07 PM
Definitely not....I was refreshing the existing paint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: