Unknown Known Kind of Key

Old 08-03-07, 12:57 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Unknown Known Kind of Key

I'm looking for help in finding out what kind of key I have exactly and whether or not I can find a place in the US that can duplicate it. My father purchased a new biometric lock for our house and it came with a key type that I have never seen before. The key is not cut into like a typical key but instead down the grooves on both sides has small drilled indents that are spaced differently and the drilled holes are different sizes and depths. I have no clue what to call this type of key. Nor did the local locksmith. I know that the manufacturer of the door knob is from Asia if that helps.

I hope someone has the answer.
Old 08-03-07, 08:15 PM
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 974
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
First, it's called a dimple key. Second, it's a waste of time to talk to anyone, smith or not, that doesn't know what a dimple key is. (I'm not a smith, but I know what they are). Third, dimple keys are not “universal”. The size and style (round, or elongated, and depth) are just as important as dimple placement. Fourth, Ninety-nine percent of all locks made in the World are made in Asia. (Locks may be assembled in another country, but most are made in Asia). Except for legal restrictions, any key can be copied. Finding the right person, is the difficult part.

Take a closeup digital photograph of the key (both sides). Upload it to a free website. One poster to this website worthy of asking is Globalkey (Locks & Keys). Other options: find another smith locally. Query other smiths on the web (especially those involved with high security).

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: