South facing front door

Old 08-15-07, 10:54 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
South facing front door

I need some advice, I have a Stanley steel door which faces south it is white now, the sun is brutal all day if I paint it a dark color for contrast will it hold up with such intense sunlight? Thanks

Old 08-15-07, 12:55 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Actually, from what I was told when I got my new door was, that even if They painted it (black was our original door and choice) they, the Mfgr would not guarantee the paint job.
Our front door faces SSW so it gets alot of sun as well.
We kept it white and its holding up fine.

Old 08-15-07, 03:42 PM
J
The answer to the question is NO. Any plastic trim on the door will likely melt, and the paint will bake quickly, even in cooler months. As suggested above, they will not honor the warranty under such conditions.

Old 08-16-07, 10:23 AM
B
I would have to disagree. We installed a steel entry door about 4 years ago on the front of our south facing house (I know what you mean about the brutal sun!!!) and we painted it a dark navy. We have had no problems with the doors paint or plastic trim. The door gets very warm, warm enough so that when we open the door we have to watch that the twins wont touch it until it cools off a little.

The make of the door is a reliabuilt, but I can not remember what type of paint we used. I do remember that when we got the door I asked the guy at Lowes what he would recommend and we went with what he suggested.

Hope this helps!!!

Old 08-16-07, 11:26 AM
N
It also depends if you have a storm glass door.
My south facing door has a storm door and I have to
repaint the door every couple of years because the
paint gets baked. I even tried special UV paint but it
did not help.
Norton

Old 08-16-07, 02:27 PM
S
Yes I do have a full glass "Forever" storm door. Thank you for all the good informative replies.

Old 08-16-07, 05:16 PM
Ah... More info than originally posted. Having a 'storm door' would/could probably deflect/reflect alot of the heat etc ...vs having just a metal clad door, ie in my case and others...(Just Bill).
It's your call.

Old 08-17-07, 03:50 AM
J
Jatco, actually the problem with a storm door facing south is that is traps heat between the doors, kind of like an oven. Some door manufacturers use heat resistant trim, some don't.

Old 08-17-07, 07:57 AM
That makes sense..but I gather this heat problem is mostly during the summer, right. So isnt there a screen that ppl usually put on during the summer months..then change that out for a glass insert during the winter?
Wouldnt the screen 'vent' the heat?

Old 08-17-07, 10:00 AM
S
I have central air so I leave the glass in all year long, never use the screen I am going to put a thermometer between the two doors and record the temp. I will post it as soon as I can. Thanks

Old 08-17-07, 10:20 AM
Leave the front door open!?!?

Old 08-17-07, 03:46 PM
S
I got 102 degrees at around noon with an ambient temperature of about 80 and a slight haze to cut into the sun a little.

Old 08-17-07, 07:01 PM
Damn...that's pretty hot...
Crank up the A/C- Naw...just kidding.
If anyone is home at High Noon (sounds like a movie) - open the door and let some air flow thru...!!

Old 08-18-07, 02:36 PM
N
Did you measure the air temp at the door or the door itself. ?
My door (dark brown) gets much hotter than the air next to it.
In fact the lowest 2 feet of the door (most exposed to the sun)
can burn your hand if touched. The only solution, I think, is
to provide an overhang so that the sun does not get to the
door.
Norton

Old 08-18-07, 06:05 PM
S
I measured the air temp. today a bright sunny day and it was 120. Yes if you measure down say the lower third of the door it will get super hot which confirms the fact that either build a portico to keep the sun off or stick with white. Thanks for all the info and I hope some others got some good info also. Thank You

Old 08-19-07, 07:52 AM
Seacilean, your profile doesn't say where you are so that can make a big difference. However, you could have a UV coating or film put on the storm door, which could cut down on the heat gain quite a bit. I wonder if anyone ever though of designing pressure vents (like they have on bags of coffee beans) that would open on high temps. Some kind of venting would be good for these situations, but I've never thought of it nor seen it before.

Quick, I'm off to the patent office.

Old 08-19-07, 11:44 AM
S
I live on Long Island but even in the winter the sun is intense my wife complains about all her seasonal decorations she hangs on the front door fade out, I suggested to her about a tint on the storm door glass but she made a funny face I guess its the female gene kicking in (They would rather keep complaining instead of fixing the problem) so I back off it's cheaper than a divorce. Thanks again for the info.

Old 08-19-07, 11:48 AM
The have UV film that's clear, so if it's the dark tint she's worried about, there's an option. It would cut down on the fade and the heat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: