patio screen door sticking

Old 08-15-07, 05:47 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
patio screen door sticking

How can I stop a patio screen door from sticking when opneing and closing? I just installed a replacement screen sliding door. And I think there hasn't been a sliding screen door in the tracks for a very long time maybe.

Old 08-16-07, 03:44 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adjust the rollers so the door does not drag on the track. And maybe a drop of oil on each roller.

Old 08-16-07, 04:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
A little steel wool on the threshold ridge where the roller rolls plus the drop of oil should help as well. Quite often dirt gathers there and causes inordinate amounts of friction, but adjusting the rollers is important, too.

Old 08-16-07, 05:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,744 Upvotes on 1,568 Posts
I agree with adjusting the rollers (raising the door up) but disagree with the oil since oil can attract more dirt. If it's a new door it shouldn't need oil. Ensuring the track is clean as mentioned is also a good idea.

Is your screen door the type that has 2 adjustment screws near the bottom of the screen and 2 screws near the bottom? Or is it the type that has 2 access holes or adjustment screws on the bottom stile of the frame? Either way, those are the rollers you would want to access to raise the bottom rollers up. If there are also rollers on top, these get adjusted only until the screen is snug. When they are adjusted correctly, the top rollers prevent the door from racking as it slides. Some doors have slotted guides on top instead of rollers.

Old 08-16-07, 06:00 AM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Did you buy a Multi-Fit screen door? That's the type that you can adjust the height. This type of door will never slide well. Clean the track, as explained above, adjust the expander and hope for the best.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: