Drilled hole in wrong place

Old 08-20-07, 05:40 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drilled hole in wrong place

Attempting to put touch button dead bolt on door (metal/aluminum)

Drilled circular hold too high. Right above wood. What can I do to solve this problem? Thanks.

Old 08-20-07, 10:01 PM
Depends!

Door scar plates, and cover plates, are available. A scar plate would cover the hole. Potentially a cover plate would cover the lock-set cross bore and the new hole.

This type of cover plate has a built in lock-set cross bore hole in the plate. Some have a deadbolt cross bore also. If you can't find a wrap around cover plate long enough too cover the hole the other options are:

Have sheet metal shop make a custom cover plate. Layout is very simple.

Advanced option: use the existing hole. Create custom stiffeners of wood or aluminum to surround the hole inside. “Glue” them in place with fiberglass resin or bondo. Fill the remainder with expanding rigid foam. Re-drill & install the lock.

Old 08-21-07, 07:48 AM
M
Thanks

Sounds like the prefab scar & cover plates would be the easiest answer for a novice. At least when I go hunting for it, I now know what it is called.

The door is an entry door to my garage, seldom used. But what a dumb thing to do. I almost didn't post because of how ridiculous it sounds. Appreciate the tasteful answer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: