Storm door installation

Old 09-12-07, 03:49 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Storm door installation

Greetings All,

First time on this site, hope for some feedback. About to install new storm door in front entrance, but not enough clearance between existing front door/handle and door frame.
When the existing front door was put in, it was mentioned by installer that I would need a "storm door installation kit" if I was to put on a storm door.
Well....looks like I need one, but most folks haven't heard of a pre-made "installation kit". I figure a couple of 2x3 would extend the frame out.
Now my question.....is this something an occasional nail-banger to attempt without screwing up the exsiting looks of the front door, and do you know of any "kits"?
Thanx much.

Old 09-12-07, 05:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 854 Votes on 782 Posts
Do you have a prehung entry door with side light windows? Or is it just a single door with a narrow jamb that makes the doorknob protrude?

Digital pics can be uploaded to any filesharing web site (flickr, photobucket) then the link to your pic can be copied and pasted here for us to see. Sometimes pictures help make things clear.

Old 09-14-07, 06:46 AM
D
It is a prehung door with sidelights.

The door frame extends two inches out from the door, but the handle itself juts out 2 1/2 inches. So basically there is no way to get a storm door on unless I build out, or find the "installation kit".

Uploading digital pictures...another challenge! I'll attempt.

Old 09-14-07, 07:30 AM
G
I used to wok for Hom Depot and ran into this a lot for installs. Get some 5/4 board and do a build out in both sides of the door to bring the sides ot so that they are in the same plane.

Old 09-14-07, 06:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 854 Votes on 782 Posts
I thought that might be the case. The 5/4 lumber that garywms suggested might work for you. If not here's a couple threads where this question was discussed in detail. Maybe *too much* detail.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=264930
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=275772

Note that some of the picture links in those threads may be dead by now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: