Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Replacing Basement Windows Metal Fame & Concrete Question

Old 09-17-07, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone,

I'm helping my parents with some home maintenance projects. Their basement windows need to be replaced. I can't seem to be able to pull open the basement windows because the concrete directly above these windows seems to be 'sagging' just a bit. I think this is 'pushing' the top of the metal window frame down. The result of all this is I can't pull the basement windows open.

If I'm able to remove the basement windows and the metal frame, will the concrete just above the windows collapse? What should I do to be able to open the windows and remove the window and metal frame so that I can replace the windows, please?

Any and all help and tips and suggestions and direction greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
hlpmehlpmyprnts

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-07, 06:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 173 Posts
You'll probably need to break the glass out, so be careful. But you'd first try to pry the edge of the sash with a pry bar from the outside. If that doesn't work, use a persuader. (hammer).

If the sash has a middle divider, cut that out so that the frame can be bent down on top. Once the sash is removed, you'll probably need to make a single cut in each side of the frame so that it has a weak point... then with the help of a long prybar you can bend the metal, collapsing it all toward the center of the opening.

It's not likely anything will collapse, unless you have an old red chalk brick foundation- sometimes they're pretty weak. Basement windows are usually up against the sill plate of the house, but yours could certainly have some cement over them, I wouldn't be suprised. If it seems week, just use extra care, perhaps pulling that section of the frame out last- it should just fall out if you get the bottom and sides out first.