weather protection-wood trim -advice

Old 10-09-07, 04:36 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question weather protection-wood trim -advice

I recently had new windows installed and had the exterior trimmed with douglas fir- rough, unprimed because I wanted the natural wood to show. I have been looking at stains and weather sealers and don't want to make any mistakes. Any advice? I am in a climate that is dry and hot summers with alittle bit of precip (snow) in winder and wind. Most of windows are under a covered deck/porch so they get some protection from elements. I don't want a real dark stain. My pella handbook doesn't cover this very much and assumes I'm painting the wood. Thanks!
Catherine

Old 10-09-07, 04:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 996 Votes on 907 Posts
If you'd like the color of the wood to show through, you'll likely want to use a transparent stain. You'll need to regularly apply this if you don't want your wood to darken over time. The edges where the trim meets the window would need to be sealed with sealant to ensure that water soaking into the untreated sides of the trim does not cause the finish to fail prematurely. A semi-transparent stain that has a light pigment would give you a little more control over the color over time. These would likely need to be reapplied every 2 or 3 years I'm guessing, because these types of stains are not as durable as paints.

For more on finishing the wood in a manner you desire, you might ask which product to use in the Wood Finishing or Painting forum.

Old 10-10-07, 04:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 429 Votes on 383 Posts
A semi-transparent stain will always out last a clear sealer! As with most coatings, you will find better stains at a real paint store - big boxes tend to stock what is cheapest

Old 10-12-07, 01:38 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile wood trim -thank you

OK... I will follow up on your advice re; darkness and cheapness factor. I will ask the paint store about a good sealer too. I picked out a quart of some exterior stain from Home-dCheapo to consider; I guess If can use it on the chicken coop : ). Many thanks, C

Old 10-12-07, 02:26 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 429 Votes on 383 Posts
Exterior stains are sealers, they don't require any sealer over them.

If your el cheapo stain wasn't custom tinted, you can take it back for a refund

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: