Striker Plates uncooperative

Old 10-17-07, 07:28 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Striker Plates uncooperative

I can get the door square , secure it well, and am generally quite handy, except........

Getting the striker plate right is apparently beyond my understanding or skills.

Never can get it drilled and secured in the right place. Either can't close the door except slamming it with my shoulder, or too loose and it leaks.

Have looked at "How to install" books, websites but haven't yet found any good explanation on where or how to position it properly the first time.

HELP!!!!!!

Old 10-17-07, 03:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If this was a door unit with the casing, the mortised striker area is pretty well set at the factory. If you are doing this from scratch, get some lipstick, retract the plunger, dab a little lipstick on the plunger, close the door and release the plunger. It will mark the strike side of the jamb at the proper point. This will give you a good indicator as to where to place the strike plate. Only put in one screw until you get it set like you want it, then set the other screw after predrilling the hole.

Old 10-17-07, 08:02 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
hopro,

Sounds like you have the plate set properly as far as height, but you are haveing a problem with the depth (in and out).

Is there a tab inside the latch hole that can be bent in or out to fine tune it? If not, get a plate that has that tab. There will be a little slot in the tab so that you can use a screwdriver to adjust it.

Old 10-17-07, 11:46 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There are strike plates with elongated screw holes so the plate may be adjusted in and out. The last one I saw was stamped with the name MAG.

For doors that you have to lean on to latch you can take the latch plate off and file the opening. They're usually made of brass so it doesn't take much work.

Old 10-18-07, 04:34 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Striker Plate

Measure the distance from the flat side of the plunger to the edge of the door which hits the stop. Decide how much slack you want and add that amount to get the postion of the striker plate. Good luck with your project.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: