advice on type replacement windows

Old 11-06-07, 12:05 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
advice on type replacement windows

Hi guys, I'm new and looking for advice on what are the best replacement windows available. My home is about 18-20 years old and electric bill runs any where from $380.00- to over $500.00 a month.We may want to sell home soon both kids are in college. I know home will need updates to get the most $$ out of home.I live in Mandeville,La. I think this is is a good place to start windows are single glass. Any other sugguestion would be appreciated. Company's like window world etc... or better to buy at home depot/lowes have carpenter install? one window type better than another or one I should make sure I stay away from?

thanks,

Old 11-06-07, 03:17 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I am a Certainteed installer, so my opinion is very biased. But others also think that Certainteed is one of the best. They have an impressive list of cudos. For vinyl, my preference is the BrynMawrII, in any configuation you choose, double hung, casement, awning, bay/bow, etc. They come with Lo-E insulating glass w/argon. This should show an energy savings over single glass of about 15-25%, depending on insulation, shade, etc. If wood windows are your preference, Marvin and Weathershield make a tilt-Pac unit that is DIY friendly. It replaces the sash only, so nothing inside or out is disturbed. The vinyl windows are not cheap or expensive, and in many areas, the distributors only sell to contractors. The wood windows are a bit more pricey, but either is considerably less than a complete new window.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: