Replacing Windows w/ link to pic

Old 11-26-07, 02:48 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing Windows w/ link to pic

I have these 4 windows to replace and I would like some opinions on what the best solution is. Currently I am going to replace these with 4 doublehung new construction windows. The thing that I am unsure about is if there is a more efficient solution that I should be looking into. Size of each rough opening is 46 3/4''W X 45 7/8"H X 4 1/2"D. They are a very strange size for the single double hung.

See picture below

The current window setup is like this - they are aluminum frame sliders. They let in so much air and are so shotty that frost forms in the winter all over the frame. We are in New England.

The gap between each window is only 2.5" - basically 2 studs.

The exterior has each flange visible/not covered by siding or trim and that is probably how I would leave it with the new windows.

Thanks.

Last edited by jetta03; 11-26-07 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Added size
Old 11-26-07, 03:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
You say the RO is 46 3/4 x 45 7/8, but I don't see that any trim has been removed anywhere so as to determine an exact RO size. It has me wondering if you are measuring the inside of the trim from jamb to jamb... or perhaps that is the exterior measurement of the aluminum frame of the windows?

Some aluminum windows are like a storm window on the exterior, and are a bit smaller outside than they are inside, since some have an aluminum frame that is stapled to a larger wood jamb.

I'd suggest you remove all your casing and interior trim to have a better idea of what you're going to get into. I would just imagine that the window frame itself might be 48x48, or a little smaller so as to fit a RO that is about 49x49.

Old 11-26-07, 04:24 PM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
A double hung window that width is beyond the limit of some manufacturers. The opening is almost square and works well with sliders or double casement windows. Whatever you decide, take Xsleeper's advice on measuring.

Old 11-26-07, 04:45 PM
J
Thumbs up

Good catch. Yeah, I am assuming that the casing is 3/8" based on my previous construction in this room. I will take the trim off and measure before ordering the window.

I thought the same thing about the square window. I am going to look into the double casement windows.

Thanks!

Old 11-26-07, 04:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Two cents, no change required. I would definitely go with vinyl clad wood interior or vinyl interior casements due to the size. Like Johnam said, double hungs won't work in that size opening. And, in addition, if you have a view out those windows, a double hung will chop it up. Most folks where we are, like the argon charged sliders, picture with side casements, or pure casements since the view is all important.

Old 11-27-07, 05:17 AM
J
There is no view, just the street and neighbors house. This is one of the reasons I was thinking double hung window with 8 on 8 grills. But I understand the size issue.

I think double casements are the way I am going to go after your advice. I will try the manufacturer as well to see what they recommend.

Thanks, I will try and post some progress as we get going.

Old 11-27-07, 06:32 AM
B
most manufacturers will go up to 4' wide but i would discourage it because they tend to have problems when they're that big, i'd stick to a slider or 2 double hungs.

Old 01-25-08, 06:01 PM
J
Thanks

Hello,

I had posted up this thread a while back and just wanted to show some results. I wish I had taken more pictures but if you use your imagination just picture a giant hole in the side of my house in the middle of December.

I put in Silverline 3900 series. They are great, they are 46"H and 36"W. Our heat runs less and they are really nice looking after being trimmed out.

As you can see, I decided to do away with the large set of windows and put in two and walled up the rest one one side and on the other (left of fireplace) just resized the RO to accomodate the window. It was really not that hard, although I have not completed the exterior shingles yet. Hopefully it will be warmer soon and I will go out and take care of this.

I could not have done it without the help from the people on this site. Thanks again. Here are the pics.

Last edited by jetta03; 01-25-08 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Added more description
Old 01-26-08, 05:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Great work! Sure seems like a logical solution to your cold air problem, too. Are you satisfied with the light infiltration, since you cut down on the size of the windows?

Old 01-26-08, 09:16 AM
J
Yeah, it provides more privacy, since this wall faces a road and we will add some more lighting. Over all I really like it. The only thing I wish I was better at is drywall. Some bumps and things in the mud are things I wish I could fix. Though overall it is a huge improvement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: