Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Hardwood floors under threshold at front door

Old 12-05-07, 12:30 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

We are installing hardwood floor ourselves. We had to stop at front entrance because we have an aluminum threshold lower than the hardwood floors (the entry way was tiled before). We are thinking to replace the threshold, but could not find anything like it. The threshold looks like the interlocking system at Pemko website. Here is the link:
http://www.pemko.com/index.cfm?event...uctMaterialId=
The number 136
The installation is quite complicated. By the way we have a double wood door, which swing inside. Could any suggestions? I hope we don't have to replace the threshold, since it is still in very good condition.

Thanks
JK

Old 12-05-07, 04:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Your threshold is actually part of the door sill? Usually thresholds have an inner portion that can be removed, and you would want to replace it with a wooden piece that matches both the color and level of your floor.

Old 12-05-07, 04:05 PM
J
There are wood thresholds that have good weatherstrips to seal the bottom of the door, that will match the floor, and won't conduct cold into the house. It may seem complicated, but if you can install the floor, i am sure you can figure out how to replace the threshold. As sleeper suggests, the thrshold may part of the door(attached to the jambs), but it can be replaced.

How low is the floor?? This should be at the front of the post. If really low, my comments may be useless.

Old 12-06-07, 09:04 AM
L
Thank you, Sleeper and Bill.
The sub-floor is about 1" below the threshold, the hardwood floor is 3/4". There is no problem to open and close doors. We have in-swing double door, I believe the threshold is original. the house was built in 70s. If we replace threshold, we need to fill the gap between the floor and door bottom (1/4" gap). Looks like I have to search for wood threshold.
Thanks again
JK

Old 12-06-07, 03:42 PM
J
Hold the phone.........need more info, or maybe a pic. 1" measured from where to where?? The normal process is to install the door flat on the floor, often before the finished floor is installed. That usually leaves room for carpet or a finished hardwood floor. If that is correct, you could still install a new floor and not need to change anything.

Old 12-07-07, 03:12 PM
L
Bill
The 1" measure is from the door bottom to the sub-floor. The house built with tile at entry way, we took out the tiles. tile was under the threshold before, and tile was about 1/2" thick. I would like to put the hardwood floor under the threshold. we also have to cut a bit of door jamb and trim. We will go to hardware store tying to find the similar threshold tomorrow. Any suggestions? I don't think lowes or homedepot has the threshold we need. ( I looked up at their web sites).

Old 12-07-07, 04:26 PM
S
JK,
Have you considered just raising the entire door assembly? Don't know if it is possible in your situation but worth a thought.
Also, you can always make your own threshold with a table saw and possibly a planer.

Steve

Old 12-07-07, 08:17 PM
I think you're in good hands, but try a search for: Z series sills. Find the company. Look around. Find a dealer.

The sills won't rot; they are adjustable height wise, and various caps (including Oak) are available.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: