basement windows - sealing up

Old 12-08-07, 12:13 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
basement windows - sealing up

HI,

I have two basement windows that are called "jalousie" windows. Anyway, when closed, the seal among the slats is not that great, and I can feel a draft from them during winter months.

I'm thinking of ways to "insulate" or seal these windows off. I don't need to open them often, if ever.

My thought was to order some custom cut plexiglas, and fasten it to the inside of the windows, using some caulk to seal the edges. The windows have screws for mounting screens, I presume, so I thought those would hold the plexiglas.

Is this a sound approach? The plexiglas would cost me about $60 (for both) - Is this worth doing, or should I just look at replacing the windows? I assume replacement would be much pricier.

-Jim

Old 12-08-07, 12:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
If you have a space for a screen, I'd suggest that perhaps you could have some storm sashes custom made at a glass shop, for about the same price as your plexiglass. It would basically be a little aluminum frame around the glass that would slip into your windows just as the frame of the screen did (I assume by the way you stated it, the screens are gone).

Plexiglass expands and contracts an awful lot, so if you go that route you would not likely want to put a screw through it, and if you were going to caulk it you'd want to use 100% silicone so that it could stretch as the plexiglass moves. Plexiglass is usually more expensive than glass, and will eventually get cloudy and scratches easily.

Old 12-08-07, 05:18 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I'll contact a glass place, that sounds reasonable. The screens are gone - before we bought the place. The screws i mentioned are really the "clips" that screw down to hold the screen, so the screw doesn't go through the glass. But, I think a true "storm window" kind of thing might be better than plexiglass. Thanks for the suggestion.

-Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: