Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Sliding patio door for costal property - aluminum vs fiberglass vs vinyl

Old 12-29-07, 05:45 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am looking at replacing a 20 year old 12 foot 3 panel aluminum patio door in a coastal property I own . The are problems with a sagging header, deteriorating pain , weather stripping bad obolete rollers) making it necessary to replace it The view (through a screen porch beyond the door is) is the main view of the Gulf of Mexico for the home so I would like to again have as much glass area . The property is a vacation rental home so whatever I install needs to be very durable . My inclination is to go back with an aluminum unit but I am having difficulty finding that size a similar quality ( basic but durable ). I would appreciate help on brands/mfgs , sources , and options of using fiberglass or vinyl and any other recommendations .

- Thanks

Old 12-29-07, 05:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Considering your location, I would go with a vinyl clad unit. Although they are heavier, they move with authority, close more solidly, and don't rust. Yes, aluminum can rust. It is called "white rust", and affects the surface making it dull, and with salt water mist, it increases the effect.

Old 12-29-07, 09:26 AM
R
Clad over aluminum or over wood ? ( I am not too up on this stuff ) - Thanks

Originally Posted by chandler
Considering your location, I would go with a vinyl clad unit. Although they are heavier, they move with authority, close more solidly, and don't rust. Yes, aluminum can rust. It is called "white rust", and affects the surface making it dull, and with salt water mist, it increases the effect.

Old 12-29-07, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
patio door

Hi rkpatt

When I lived in coastal Virginia, I sold many, many doors to people, (non-commision btw, so I wasn't working on high-balling the advise), so....

Just a couple of questions....

Are you subject to severe wind and rain in the door area?

Is the door subject to salt spray/ocean air?

Do you need impact resistance per building code?

Do you want to be able to stain/paint the interior or exterior of the door?

How important is energy efficiency?

How long will you be keeping this property?

Also, you said, "sagging header". Hopefully you mean the head jamb of the door, not the actual header of the house?

The reason I'm asking all this is, a 12 ft 3 panel door can run anywhere from about $1500 to $3500 dollars, and thats just with the 5-6 brands I'm most familiar with.

Best in 2008

Old 12-29-07, 11:20 AM
R
Thanks for your reply . I have tried to answer your questions below . Any recommendations or allternatives to still have clear view in this 12 foot opening are appreciated .

Happy New Year to you too .

Originally Posted by Gunguy45
Hi rkpatt

When I lived in coastal Virginia, I sold many, many doors to -people, (non-commision btw, so I wasn't working on high-balling the advise), so....

Just a couple of questions....

Are you subject to severe wind and rain in the door area?

- Sort of but it is somewhat protected by a screen porch . The openings are like 8 feet from the door

Is the door subject to salt spray/ocean air?

-Yes but see above .

Do you need impact resistance per building code?

-No, it is "grandfathered " .

Do you want to be able to stain/paint the interior or exterior of the door?
- No , I just want a durable finish .

How important is energy efficiency?

No very important in this case .

How long will you be keeping this property?

< 5 more years .

Also, you said, "sagging header". Hopefully you mean the head jamb of the door, not the actual header of the house.

The ceiling above the door appears to be flat but I haven't yet run any strings . I think it is just the header or plan on using temporary supports during demolition investigate and remediate any header problem .

I am curious as to the appropriate header sizing for either case ( single story structure) .

The reason I'm asking all this is, a 12 ft 3 panel door can run anywhere from about $1500 to $3500 dollars, and thats just with the 5-6 brands I'm most familiar with.

Ok.

Best in 2008

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: