Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

A Really Interesting Problem (Dog and glass door)

A Really Interesting Problem (Dog and glass door)

Old 01-07-08, 07:18 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question A Really Interesting Problem (Dog and glass door)

I have a problem that I know you guys can help me solve. Seven weeks ago, we adopted a 9 pound Saint Bernard puppy. She became house broken quickly and learned to announce her need to go out and come in by hitting the sliding glass door in our family room with her nose or paws. The problem is that, as expected, she is growing rapidly (3 1/2 pounds a week) and continues using the door as her "door bell'. I'm sure you can see the problem - soon she will be large enough to smash the glass. Help! What can I do to make the window withstand this!

You guys are always so good at these things, I'm sure you will be able to give me some great ideas. Thanks.

Old 01-07-08, 07:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I feel your pain with this! We have a 135lb black lab who constantly paws at our nice french doors. The wood/plastic trim around the window pains look horrible and the glass is scratched.

When he's in his fenced area, he just likes to paw at the siding of the house......

Anywho, without calling the "Dog Whisperer", we both maybe out of luck in that regard, but lets see if someone responds about your glass question.

Old 01-07-08, 07:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,002 Votes on 911 Posts
Door glass is tempered and cannot be easily broken, even if your dog gets to be 150 lbs, I'm quite confident he won't be able to break your glass.

Old 01-08-08, 05:56 AM
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
Any glass can break with enough force. Tempered glass is intended for the safety of the person or dog possible going through it. When it breaks you have a mess and if by chance both panes break, you have a bigger mess and a door with no glass. Using laminated glass in place of tempered might be better. It can crack but will stay intact. Tempered laminated glass is even stronger.

Old 01-08-08, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Big pup

Highly unlikely the dog would ever break thru. Tempered glass is "pre-stressed" to shatter into small pieces when it does break, but its also very strong. We used to whack old or damaged panels with hammers to break them before disposal, you wouldn't believe how hard you had to hit. Conversely, if you took a steel centerpunch, almost the lightest tap would shatter it, due to the pre-stressing.

A bump with a nose, head, or paw is not going to break the glass. If he scratches tho, as the prior poster said, you're going to have a pretty ugly door pretty fast.

Not much you can do, if the dog has learned the behavior, pretty hard to stop it. You may want to try cutting cardboard to fit over the lower part of the glass, and tape it so it won't interfere with operation. I did have people come back and tell me, once they couldn't see out, they were less interested in bumping or pawing the door. It would also help protect the door glass at least.

Old 01-08-08, 10:14 AM
If it is a glass slider you could put in a doggy door insert. However, being a St. Bernard, I don't know if they make them big enough.

http://www.moorepet-petdoors.com/Pat...FUV0OAodJgIzww

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: