Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

should nails be used to install window capping?

Old 01-14-08, 05:26 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Our wood replacement windows were wrapped with aluminum capping. When we had this work done in the past to different windows on the same house no nails were visible on the capping. This last job the installer nailed the aluminum capping on all four sides of the window. I I don't recall ever seeing it done like this. Is this a correrct way to install capping? Wouldn't the nail holes allow water to penetrate the capping and possibly lead to rot in the future?

Thanks, Dave

Old 01-14-08, 04:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
You usually want to use the fewest nails possible. I have never seen any problems with water leaking around nails unless the nail works itself loose. (freeze/thaw cycles)

Old 01-14-08, 08:42 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Should the capping be nailed at the corners instead of the center of each cap? We just noticed a few houses have capping with the nails on the corners and they blend in much better with the window vs. ours where the nails are in the center of the cap?

Old 01-15-08, 04:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
If nails are needed, I try and nail near the corner, since it does make the nail less obvious. I think it's a good idea to do it that way. Sounds like this is a question of craftsmanship.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: