cloudy vinyl windows, can they be resealed?

Old 02-23-08, 03:22 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: cambridge, Ontario
Posts: 81
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
cloudy vinyl windows, can they be resealed?


2 of my vinyl windows have recently started to show a bit of condensation and are now becoming a bit cloudy.

Do they need to be replaced? Or is there another option?

Old 02-23-08, 03:30 PM
Gunguy45's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 19,281
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Vinyl windows can be repaired, but if you know the manufacturer, it's normally much cheaper to just order some new sashes. Depending on the age, the color may be a bit off, but after a while, not so noticable.

If you don't know the maker, check with a few good glass shops in your area. It will be much cheaper if you can take the fogged/leaking sashes to them, and close off the window temporarily.
Old 02-23-08, 03:38 PM
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 77
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Failed insulated units

Sealed insulated units are factory sealed. Modern ones are what is called dual sealed units which means the aluminum spacer is sealed to the glass and then a sealant is installed around the edge of the glass. The spacer has a desicant or drying agent inside that takes any moisture or solvent out when manufactured.

Over time the seals can deteriorate as a result of age, poor manufacaturing, and or sitting in water collecting in the bottom of the window.

Depending on the age, the units can be guaranteed for 5 years to lifetime. Lifetime warranties usually only apply to the original owner. Newer units feature a low-emissivity coating Low-E that adds to the insulating value.

If you replaced the unit yourself you would have to know the width and height of the unit (usually best to remove the sash to measure) as well as the overall thickness and the thickness of the glass. If you know the manufacturer of the window you may be able to get the exact measurements with the overall window dimensions.

The frames are usually held together with screws in the corner of the sash. Pulling off the side will expose a u-shaped vinyl that encircles the glass. Some window use what is called a snap-in-bead that goes between the window frame and the glass. These type of windows use a double sided foam tape to seal the glass to the frame. The snap bead goes back in and functions as a mechanical means of holding the glass.

To answer your question, you really need to replace the unit with a new one. It is virtually impossible to reseal units. If you did the unit life would probably be shortlived.

Jim Marshall
Old 02-24-08, 09:32 AM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: WI/MN
Posts: 18,893
Received 1,197 Upvotes on 1,152 Posts
We replace a lot of these - we order new glass and install it ourselves.
Old 05-15-08, 07:40 PM
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The foam tape you speak of is only used on some windows... normally the jamb of the single hung style which would mean your top window would be the only glass that has this tape on it. We actually caulk and snap bead the sashes so in the windows we make it is actually really easy to get the glass out once you take out the snap bead because then you can just push on the actual glass and pry the sash away then just clean out the caulking and put new glass in...

You should be able to go to a home improvement store and place a glass only order with your measurements which would then be sent to the original manufacturer and shipped to you. I know we tend to get a lot of glass or sash only orders at the factory I work at. I am actually not too sure what you mean by a U shaped piece of vinyl or the Jamb or Sash being held together with screws... some manufacturers may do that but we weld them all together... the only parts put on with screws are the tilt bars, locks, and keepers... the rest is all welded vinyl.

If your windows are Sprouse, Seneca, Signature, or Gentry I could help you because that is all we produce... I think we cover NC, SC, PA, OH, WV, and MI... possibly more... those are the only states that stand out in my mind though. I just got off work so I could be drawing a blank because of being so beat...
Old 05-17-08, 01:40 PM
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Arlington, WA
Posts: 8,670
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
First off, how old are the windows? Do you know who the mfgr. is? There's a good chance they may be under warranty and the mfgr. will replace the IG units for you.

The frames are fine, it's just the glass (IG units) that are bad. THAT'S all that needs to be replaced.

Best to call a glass shop and have THEM come measure the IG units for you and order them. They'll take about 2 weeks to get. The glass shop can replace them very easily without destroying the window frames.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: